Redesigning the Ticketing System

Jackpocket is a mobile app that allows users to play the official state lottery in app

The "Tickets" tab is where the users could view their past purchases, games, ticket images, winning amounts and upcoming games. We redesigned this tab to streamline and organize the information and make it easier for users to track their history based on specific orders, dates and specific lottery games.

My Role

Product Designer, User Experience, Data Documentation

The Team

Senior Product Designer, 1 Product Manager, QA engineer, 3 Engineers, Compliance and Regulations team

Time & Tools

3 months
Sketch, Hype Tumult, Framer.js, Principle, Adobe Illustrator

The Problem

The current ticketing system filters purchased tickets under "upcoming" "past" and "winning" tickets, this reflects information that is not in the same category. The functionality also creates a limbo state of tickets that are neither "upcoming" or "past" which has resulted in multiple user complains about not being able to find their tickets and tally the lottery results with their numbers.

Current Ticketing System

Hypothesis & Process

Allowing the user to deep-dive into lottery numbers in their order in a clear timeline will reduce friction points when they need to find their lotto numbers and winning.

We decided to rethink, design and engineer "Tickets" into "Orders" that gave users a high-level experience of each order. In doing so we set a few goals:


We would measure success by user retention in app after buying lottery tickets, decrease in complains, and number of users who new users who viewed their lottery ticket.


Through iteration, I found that the best way to display information about an order would be by mimicking the concept of "folders." This was an intuitive experience most users are familiar with from other technology, giving them the opportunity to have an overview of their order then tapping into it for more details allowed for progressive discovery.

I started playing around with the hierarchy of information in the overview while taking into consideration the compliance needs and what a winning experience would look like for a user with a winning ticket.


Orders experience focused on showing the lottery tickets and purchases in a coherent timeline of Past and Upcoming, while keeping "current" plays at the forefront for the user. his allowed users to track previous winnings, numbersand games based on the status of their results and more importantly focus on their current games.

The winning experience allowed users to filter winning tickets and this experience focused on highlighting and rewarding the user with a celebration of smooth gradients, icons, and animations that reflected big or small winnings.


This was an impactful project for the company trajectory that was later used as one of the two design initiatives to show investors in order to close a Series B round of $21 million. The board was excited to see the "evolution and impact of the design teams efforts" on the growing product.

The problem presented some complex layers of information paired with compliance and regulatory needs that the final product combined cohesively.

Reflecting back on the end-to-end process, we could have conducted a series of smaller A/B tests that would have made the design and engineering lift more efficient. While the redesign significantly improved the user experience, testing the most common use cases and different interactions could have helped address doubts we had in the iteration phases. These were learnings that were implemented in future design initiatives.